Applicants may choose to enter any District audition across the country regardless of whether they are a resident of the area. District winners must compete in the Region Finals of the Region in which they were District winners. Because we allow singers to audition in the National Council District of their choice, there will be certain unavoidable instances when a panel includes a judge with a connection to one or more contestants. While we work to avoid this circumstance, please be assured that judges are required to recuse themselves from deliberations about singers with whom they have previously worked.
You can apply online or download the MONC Application, which you may read and print in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please send your completed application to: Ms. Lynn Harrington, Singer Arrangements. Do not send your application to the National Council Auditions office at the Metropolitan Opera. Your application will not be accepted at that location. Recordings and videotapes may not take the place of a live audition. Please do not include them with your application. Applications should be postmarked no later than Dec. 30, 2014
Applications must include the following
- Completed application form and Governing Regulations form with candidate's signature. Unsigned applications will not be accepted.
- Photocopy of birth certificate or other legal proof of age such as a driver's license or passport.
- Non-refundable application fee of $30.00 (U.S. Funds only) in the form of a check made out to MONC/CO-WY DISTRICT. Please confirm with your local contact person how you should make out your check.
- A résumé and (optional) digital photo.
- Foreign applicants (those who are not citizens of the United States or Canada) must provide proof of one-year residency or proof of full-time enrollment in a college or university in the United States or Canada.
Singer RequirementsApplicants for the 2014–15 season of auditions must be within the following ages: 20–30 years old for all voice types from August 1, 2014, through July 31, 2015.
- 1. Applicants should demonstrate operatic potential and should have musical training and background. Applicants must be able to sing in more than one language and show artistic aptitude.
- 2. Citizens of the United States of America and Canada are eligible to audition. Foreign applicants must show proof of one-year residency or proof of full-time enrollment in a college or university in the U.S. or Canada.
- 3. The District and Region auditions require five arias of the singer's choice consisting of contrasting languages and styles. At the national levels of competition, singers must only offer four arias.